The omicron variant is the name of new coronavirus strain B.1.1.529 of SARS-CoV-2 causing covid 19. The variant has been spreading quickly in countries including South Africa, Hong Kong, Israel, and Belgium.
WHO has declared it as a ‘variant of concern’ like previous variants alpha, beta, gamma, and delta.
Why Is The Omicron Variant Most Dangerous?
The reason why the omicron Covid variant is dangerous is that there’s a lot more about it that’s unknown.
B.1.1.529 has several spike protein mutations, according to what is currently known. And preliminary investigation indicates that it is highly contagious.
That’s because, the appearance of the omicron Covid variant coincided with a four-fold spike in new cases in South Africa over the last two weeks.
B.1.1.529 got discovered in Botswana’s genome-sequencing data. The variant stood out because it contains more than 30 modifications to the spike protein. Spike protein detects host cells and is the major target of the body’s immunological reactions.
Many of the alterations have gotten discovered in Delta and Alpha variants before. Experts connected them to increased infectivity and the ability to elude infection-blocking antibodies.
Does it reduce vaccine effectiveness?
While there is no evidence, several people with even double vaccine shots have gotten infected by this Omicron variant.
You see, the epidemiological and clinical significance of Omicron is unknown. Scientists won’t be able to make a straight relationship between the surge and anything else unless they get that information.
In a laboratory environment, South Africa has begun investigating B.1.1.529’s immune evasion capabilities. This will also show how well existing immunizations are performing.
Is it severe?
Experts in South Africa have set up a real-time system to track hospitalizations and B.1.1.529 outcomes. The information will disclose whether the mutation gets linked to illness severity. Or whether it has an impact on the efficacy of hospital-administered treatment drugs.
For now, the experts believe the omicron virus variant is as serious as the delta variant if not more.
What Are The Omicron Variant Symptoms?
According to the South African National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD), “no unique omicron virus symptoms” have been observed as a result of infection with the B.1.1.529 strain.
However, NICD also said that, like other infectious variations like Delta, some people are asymptomatic.
So, you need to look out for the same symptoms of coronavirus that you have been aware of till now. Have a look!
Common symptoms include fever, cough, or tiredness. And a loss of taste or smell.
- Painful Throat
- A rash on the skin or discoloration of the fingers or toes due to diarrhea
- Red or inflamed eyes
Symptoms that are severe include:
- Breathing problems or shortness of breath
- Trouble speaking or moving
- Confusion, dizziness
- Stomach ache
If you experience any severe symptoms due to the omicron variant, seek medical help right away.
What Can You Do If You Have An Omicron Covid?
If you get attacked by this Omicron covid virus, you have to take similar steps that you would take with any other variant of this virus.
Isolate yourself: The type of quarantine imposed depends on who lives in the home and how vulnerable they are.
When a full family tests positive at the same time, which happens frequently, they might all quarantine together. But still, maintain physical distance from people.
If you are the only person affected, you may choose to stay at a hotel or get yourself a bedroom in the house with an attached bathroom.
- Ask family members to maintain a distance from you and wear masks around you.
- Do not cook your meals yourself if possible.
- Have the prescribed medications on time.
- Keep checking your oxygen levels and temperature.
- Try to make some exercise a part of your routine. Since you cannot get out of the house, yoga is one of the best options.
- Consult a doctor (virtually) if your symptoms start getting worse.
- The last resort is to get yourself admitted to a hospital in case, for example, you find it difficult to breathe or get advised by a doctor.
How Can You Prepare Your Immunity System?
There are many ways to enhance and strengthen your immune system. The first step against the omicron covid variant, however, is to take precautions.
Follow these steps to prepare your immunity system against omicron variant:
- Protect your nose and mouth by wearing a mask. When putting on or removing your mask, make sure your hands are clean.
- Maintain a physical separation of at least one meter between yourself and others.
- Avoid places that are suffocating hot or too crowded.
- Increase the amount of airflow inside by opening windows.
- Handwashing is a must.
- Get immunized when it’s time for you. COVID-19 vaccinations are safe and effective, according to the World Health Organization.
After taking all precautionary measures, you shouldn’t waste any more time before preparing your body’s first line of defense – the immune system.
Here’s how you can boost up your immune system:
- Hydrate properly with water and super drinks.
- Consume tea for a strong immune system.
- Drink water in copper vessels (for some time).
- Add immune friendly herbs to your diet.
- Eat less junk food and more fruits and vegetables.
- Do some form of physical exercise like yoga, running, Zumba, etc.
The omicron variant is dangerous because there’s much that we don’t know about it. The omicron variant symptoms are similar to that of other variants, according to the data available at this point.
The variant should be considered severe because it seems to be affecting even people with vaccinations.
The best way to take care of yourself against the omicron covid virus is to follow all precautionary measures. And take steps to boost your immunity. We have shared how to do that in the above sections.
Share this article with your friends and family and make as many people aware of the new danger as possible. Let’s fight together!