Nowadays, people are very much concerned about their health and take all the measurable precautions to keep themselves fit and healthy. While talking about exercise, cycling is one of the best things to keep your body energized, improve fitness, and build muscles.
Cycling is best for those who have chronic stroke because it will help them recover their hearts. But there is always a debate on indoor vs outdoor cycling.
Any type of cycling is better, so how does it matter if you cycle indoor or outdoor? Both of them have their own benefits and drawbacks. In this article, we will discuss and compare the health benefits of outdoor vs indoor cycling. Let’s have a look!
Indoor Vs Outdoor Cycling: Major Differences Between Them
As we mentioned earlier, any type of cycling is better than doing nothing. But a question pops in your head how Indoor cycling is different from outdoor cycling, and why is indoor vs outdoor cycling a big debate?
- The best part about indoor cycling is you don’t have to worry about the bad weather. Rain, hail, or shine, no matter what, indoor cycling is always there for you.
- It is safe to ride a stationary bike because you don’t have to worry about the difficult roads, and it is way more convenient.
- If you choose to cycle at home, you will face fewer distractions than outside.
- You don’t have to face difficulties such as flat tires or following the traffic signals.
- You can listen to music and watch television while cycling indoors for as long as you can, which is not safe when you cycle outside.
- Outdoor cycling gives you an opportunity to explore new places or ride on new roads, which you will never experience in indoor cycling.
- When you ride a cycle in an open area, it will help you to reduce your stress, anger and also improve your mood.
- You can find a lot of new friends while cycling outdoor, and you can also schedule group cycling sessions with them.
- You will have the chance to witness natural beauty and see different landscapes.
- If you love adventures, then weather changes can make your outdoor cycling more dynamic and bold.
Which is Better for Losing Fat? Indoor Vs. Outdoor Cycling?
Obesity is one of the major problems everyone is facing today. If you want to lose weight and don’t have enough time, you can adjust your cycling routine according to your work. It is hard to say which cycling is better indoor vs outdoor cycling for weight loss, because both have their own significance.
Indoor vs outdoor cycling can burn calories in their own way. While in an indoor cycling session, you will get a trainer who will make you go for a dirty workout and also tell you when to go hard, and in an outdoor session, you can set your pace on the road for a heavy workout.
Apart from this, indoor cycling is great for group activity. When you regularly ride the cycle with the same person, you will eventually grow a bond with them. It is entirely the same in outdoor cycling because you can hit the road with your crew and make your cycling more adventurous.
Different weight people can burn different calories while riding the cycle no matter it is outside or inside. Cycling is a great activity for losing weight and weight maintenance because only 30 minutes of an intense session can do wonders for your body.
But when you ride outside, you will get a different frame, seat, and pedal system that is personalized according to every rider. It will help them to lose some pounds easily because the rider will feel resistance when he peddles, which will convert into calories loss.
On the other hand, you will get a flat peddling system and a stationary riding position when you ride indoors. When you stop peddling, the wheel continues to spin for a time which means it does some work for you, and you will lose fewer calories.
Benefits of Indoor Vs Outdoor Cycling
1) Strengthens Your Lower-Body Muscles: To prevent stiffness or muscle imbalance, it is vital to keep your joints healthy and fit as you age.
Doing indoor cycling is one of the best ways to keep your joints fit. According to a study in the Journal of Rheumatology, regular cycling will help in reducing stiffness and joint pain.
It will help you to strengthen your lower body and lubricate the joints.
2) Convenient: People generally make excuses to avoid workouts, and the most common excuse is time issues. But when they can get an opportunity to ride indoor, they can ride it for as little time as they can.
The best thing is you don’t have to worry about the weather condition because you can do your workout all from the comfort zone of your home.
3) Safe: As per cycling statistics, 25 percent of cyclists’ deaths happen when drivers overtake bike lanes.
That’s why indoor cycling is much safer because you can avoid traffic and rash drivers. It is the best alternative for those who love to ride a cycle but live in an area where they can’t ride outdoors.
1) Boost Mental Health: Nowadays, people are so stressed because of their work schedule and need mental peace.
Outdoor cycling is one of the ways that help to ease feelings of stress and depression. When you ride outdoor, you have all your concentration on the road, which helps you to take away your focus from all the hustle and bustle of your life.
Your mental health will boost, and you will feel better.
2) Adventurous: Outdoor cycling is the best because you can have a chance to witness different roads and terrains, which can be adventurous.
Every day you can go to a new destination, explore places that you have never been to before. If you love the thrill and want some excitement in your life, outdoor cycling is for you.
3) Improve Core Strength & Stability: Do you notice that you don’t worry about falling off the cycle in stationary cycles?
Your core will not be engaged because the cycle is locked in a particular space. But when you ride outside, your core strength will improve to keep you stable.
Outdoor cycling is a total body workout to improve your strength. It is one of the best outdoor cycling benefits for an individual.
Regular cycling is the best way to stay healthy, and both indoor and outdoor cycling is a great experience. Lets’s end this debate of indoor vs outdoor cycling because both provide unique benefits, which is helpful for an individual. You have to figure out which one works for you according to your schedule and priorities.